Saturday, May 30, 2009

Race 29 - Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon

Today was a great day for a long run, but unfortunately I did not run as well as I would have liked. I love the Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon and so do 9,000+ other runners, but not the non runners in the best borough in NYC. Traffic was a nightmare for those not partaking in the race. Too bad, get out of your cars and run.

The course this year was reversed from previous years. The last few years the race started on the boardwalk of Coney Island and finished in Prospect Park. This year we started in Prospect Park, did two loops, and then ran down Ocean Parkway to Coney Island. I liked the finish at the beach, but I hate the two loops in the park because you have to run the big hill twice. I ran with Frank and Emmy in the park and was feeling just okay. I was hoping by the time I got to Ocean Parkway, I would feel good. No such luck, I struggle down the Parkway. See my splits and Heart Rate.
We were able to park in Keyspan Park and that's where the post race party was held which was somewhat convienient. The NYRR supplied shuttle buses to the start but they were unreliable so a bunch of us took the F train.


I am not sure why I did not run well, but it wasn't the warm temps. It was 65 degrees and the park was shaded and much of Ocean Parkway was also in the shade. I am guessing it has been all the racing I have been doing. I still ran a 1:40:57 but I was thinking I could go 1:35 and I was hurting at the end. I had no kick. It was a bit disappointing so I may have to pull back my racing schedule until I get my legs back.

I met up with Frank Colella and Emmy Stocker, two runners that John Liptak and I met at the Manhattan 1/2 marathon in January. John and I needed someone to take our photo and we asked Frank who was with Emmy at the time. Emmy asked me then what 50@50 meant and when I told her she was impressed, but quickly added that she had done two 50 milers and a century when she turned 50. Since then we have get in touch via facebook and our blogs. Both Frank & Emmy run 50 milers and 100 milers regularly. In fact Emmy ran a 1:38:23 today and that was after running a 100 mile race last weekend. She is incredible. Frank alos did a 100 miler last week. Check out his blog, Run Dangerously and Emmy's blog is Running Around Conneticut. They are linked from my blog.

Frank & Emmy are encouraging me to run a 50K or 50 miler this year which I am giving considerable thought. They tell me I would just have to take in slowly. I am torn between running a marathon with hopes of qualifying for Boston or running a 50K as a symbolic ending to my 50 @ 50.



I am falling asleep as I write this. My day started at 4:40am and then I rushed back to NJ to coach my son's baseball team then played in a baseball game for the coaches. I need a good night's sleep.
mile 1 - 8:42 124 - started slowly due to the crowd
Mile 2 - 7:35 141
mile 3 - 7:28 137
mile 4 - 7:08 138
mile 5 - 7:47 142
mile 6 - 7:37 141
mile 7 - 7:29 132
mile 8 - 7:33 138
mile 9 - 8:07 135 Struggle with my gu at the water station
mile 10 - 7:53 135
mile 11 - 7:53 133
mile 12 - 7:51 136
mile 13 - 7:51 138

No comments:

Post a Comment