Sunday, May 17, 2009

Race 24 - Hair of the Dog 5K










Race 24 was the 2nd race I was running with my dog Blaze. I take her for a run usually two days a week for about 4 miles each time. She is 8 years old and could go as long as 7 miles if I dial it back in my pace. On the mornings I don't take her she will whine for about 5 minutes and when she sees me come back, she runs crazy around my house.


Today's race was at the Silver Decoy Winery and was put together by Julie Potthoff to raise money for the tri-state Weimaraner Rescue. It was a surprisingly cool morning and very windy. which made for great conditions for Blaze. Since I ran yesterday, I planned on taking it easy and run at at Blaze's pace. This was not only a dog and master run but runners without dogs were welcome. Only problem I saw with that was a the start because the dogs were going crazy and when the gun went off they were zig zagging so the runners had to be on their toes.



Blaze and I hit the first mile at 6:46 which I thought was too fast for her. She always goes out too fast but since it was cool I let her go. We passed the second mile with a 7:40 pace which was no surprise. The slower pace helped, because we ran a 7:15 pace for the third mile finishing strong in 22:32, good for 42nd out of 620 runners which was 5th in my age group.


Post race party was full of food and even some wine tasting. Each runner received a Hair of the Dog wine glass. I would suggest that you make a day of it visiting the winery.



As I write this I am a bit exhausted, not from the running but from throwing batting practice on both Saturday & Sunday with a total of about 250 pitches. I don't have a pitch count.



By the way, I am contemplating running a marathon and a 50K in the fall. I will see how my body holds up before committing.



Looking forward to seeing all my friends at the Wall Street Run on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment