Thursday, May 21, 2009

Race 25 - Wall Street Run















I am officially halfway home with my races during this 50@50 after completing the 28th annual Wall Street Run. This was my 16th time I have run this race and although its way to crowded, I love it. This race used to be in September and the Rat Race was in May but I guess it became too difficult to run both races in lower Manhattan during rush hour so they cancelled the Rate race and moved the Wall Street Run. The race was cancelled in 2001 because of 9/11, but in 2002 they ran it and it was extremely emotional for me and others.

I was joined on Tuesday by a number of first timers to Bob's 50@50. Joe Nevins (21:53), Gregg Gluberman (29:21), Dave DiCamillo (24:20)Jack, Lisa Z, Linar & Fast Frankie Falanga (21:33) were all there for the run. Frank, Jack, & Joe and myself nudged our way to the front so not to get caught in the crowd of close to 5000 runners. This year they started the walkers after the runners which was a huge improvement. The weather was absolutely perfect for an evening run.

Joe and I got off to a fast start and passed the 1st mile at 6:40. Joe runs very well for a guy who concentrates more on his pecs than his running. He always starts out quickly but can't keep the pace although his finishing times are usually very good. I think I passed him midway through mile 2 but was getting winded as I finished up the 2nd mile. My goal was to go sub 20 for this 3 mile run so I had to push it in mile 3. This is a tough course to score well since it winds through the streets and you have to watch your footing all the time. I finished in 19:44 which was good for 7th in my age group and 191st out of 2,561 men.


I was hoping to do drinks afterwards, but ended up just having a beer with Lisa Z as we never all were able to meet up because of the crowd. I hit NJ tranist for the ride home. I don't miss that commute.









No comments:

Post a Comment