Saturday, May 9, 2009

Race # 22 - The Pelicano 5K



Bob's 50@50 took to the road again this weekend with a family trip to Pittsburgh and the baptism of little Parker Hoth. Of Course I found a race to run and it included the whole family. It was a small race in Ohio Township just ten minutes from my brother in law's Dale's house. Ro and her sister were walking while Bobby. Mike and Dale would be running. One thing you need to know when running in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, there is not flat. This 5K had no flat spots, it was either uphill or downhill which for me would be good practice for my upcoming race at Mt Washington. Not sure if my family was happy with my choice of races. I ran the first mile with Dale then took off for the leaders. I knew I would be able to catch the young ones but I figured I could catch a few. I ended up finishing 13th in a time of 23:06 which was good for 2nd in my age group. This race didn't have the USATF normal age groups, but I was in the 25 and over age group so I didn't medal. I certainly don't need the plastic trophy or medal but races should have the correct age group categories. They will attract more runners, especially the core runners which are the 30 and over. Dale finished in 25th with a time of 25:42 and Bobby ran a 31:51. Michael walked with the ladies for the first two miles then ran the last mile. The rain held off and was a cool morning so perfect for running.
One odd note, the course took us through a gas station which i though was strange. Only time I saw that was when i ran off course in Pt. Pleasant at a race.
Mat gets busy for me in the next few weeks with at least 6 more races coming up, including Spring Lake and the Brooklyn 1/2 Marathon.



No comments:

Post a Comment