Saturday, May 2, 2009

Race #21 - Tails N Trails - 2.5 mile run




Today's race was the first of at least three races I will run with my dog Blaze this year. She loves to run with me and on the days I don't take her she whines the whole time I am out running. Most of the time waking up the family.



At 2.5 miles, this will probably be the shortest race I will run during the 50@50. I wasn't planning on running a race today but Barbara Rushman alerted me that this race was taking place. Barbara is the race director of Hounds & Harriers, one of the best races in NJ. More on that later.



This was a small race with only 35 runners and their dogs participating. This race will get bigger. It takes place in Washington Crossing Park and all on grass and trails so it is not a fast track. I was not planning on going all out because of Blaze. I am sure she can't handle a sub 6:30 pace. There were no mile markers so I wasn't sure how fast we were going but we were comfortably in 3rd place. The course was two laps, the first one being slightly longer than the second one. As we were heading towards the second lap, Blaze decided to just stop. I think she just wanted to smell the grass. I always listen to her, not wanting to push her if she doesn't want to go. By the time we going again, two runners and their dogs passed me and another was right behind me.



I was able to pass one of the runners and finished 4th overall about 200 yards from the leader. It was good enough for 1st overall master. Our prize was a dog bowl. I think my time was 17:45.


My next dog race is the Hair of the Dog 5K at the Silver Decoy Winery on May 17th. The 3rd doggie race will be in October, the Hounds & Harriers 3 mile run. Barbara Rushman put all her passion for dogs and running into this race and raised lots of money for St. Huberts animal shelter. She get over 140 participants and the start of the race is absolutely hilarious with every dog howling. She gives out lots of prizes and there is great goodie (doggie) bag chocked full of dog toys.














No comments:

Post a Comment