Saturday, June 6, 2009

Race #30 - Wissahickon Trail Classic



Today's race was my first trail race of the year and it was a great one. John Liptak and I agreed to run this race about 4 weeks ago after reading about it in Running Times. It ranked it as one of the best trail races in the area. Since it was taking place in Philly, I thought it would be a great chance to try a different type of race and not have to travel far. I want my 50@50 to be very diverse and this race was very different the normal New Jersey 5K.


The race took place in Wissahickon Valley Park. I wasn't sure if it would be a flat trail race or one with hills. John and I saw a few hills near the sign up table so we knew it would just be flat. We met a very nice girl who told us she ran with her club every Thursday night in the park and we would love it.


After a flat start on soft gravel we made a turn into the woods and quickly up a steep hill that lasted for at least 1/2 mile. My thoughts immediately went to our Mt Washington race in 2 weeks so I knew not to complain. The only trouble was I think this hill was steeper than what Mt Washing would bring. I was running on my toes just to keep moving.



Once we got to the top it was a gradual downhill but over rock, logs and tree roots. Since I didn't have trail shoes, I was careful of my footing. I would pass people on the way up but they were flying by me on the way down. I was being very cautious as not to slip and get hurt. Young and old would bound their way down and 3 young girls who had to be cross country runners flew by me on the way up one hill.


We never repeated any part of the course and the hills seem always be there. There were no mile markers so I didn't know how far I ran, and where the finish was. I knew it had to be close as I checked my watch and it read 4o minutes. The second water stop was on a flat section and I started cruising by runners thinking we were almost to the finish only to hear a volunteer to say less than one mile to go.



We crossed a park road and started up a hill again and this one was the steepest yet. At one point everyone in front of me was walking and there was no room to pass. Once it leveled out, we all picked it up and then the downhill was frantic. I could sense that the experienced runners knew the finish was around the corner.


A quick hairpin turn and a sprint to the finish. John ran a 50:12 and for much of the race was about 3 minutes ahead of me, as I lost him at one of the hills and since much of the race was single track there was no catching him. John loves the trails and is much faster on those courses. I think I want to run a few more and longer ones. I like the pace and the solitude. I finished up in 53:25 which I thought was okay since I really don't have anything to compare it to.


The race committee did a great job and it will be a race I put on my yearly schedule. John and I took a detour for some Philly Cheesesteaks at Dallesandros which hit the spot.


Legs are a bit tired but I am looking forward to my 5 miler tomorrow in New Hyde park.

No comments:

Post a Comment