Sunday, June 28, 2009

Race #33 - Pine Beach 5K - 20:30





I initially had 2 races scheduled for this weekend, Save the Bay 8K on Saturday and today's Pine Beach 5K. My son Michael had a doubleheader yesterday which started at 8Am so that made me abort Saturday's race. We also had a graduation party for my older son Bobby as well.

Dale was in town so I was hoping he would join me today but he had a long ride back so he declined. Dale plays lots of hockey and runs regularly so he opted to get home to play hockey in Pittsburgh. I did have the company of The Senator, Kenny V to accompany me to the race. I thought I was tired after my long day yesterday but Ken did the annual 10 miles, 10 bar run on Saturday.

I picked up Ken at 7Am for the ride to Pine Beach. I had heard so much about this race I knew I had to add it to my list this year. I am still a little sore after Mt Washington race but took my training down a notch this week to get rested. Sally Mustang is the race director of this very popular race and did a wonderful job which broke its record by registering over 1,500 runners.

I was hoping to run a sub 21 minute 5K today and with the low humidity, I knew it would be possible. My lack of sleep would be my only undoing. The staging area was a big park adjacent to the Toms River. It was a perfect weather day and I took advantage of the free 10 minute massage before the race. Off to the start line after some stretching.

I got off to a good start, passing the 1st mile marker at 6:28 but it was getting a bit warm and I was feeling a bit dehydrated, partly because I exceeded my two beer limit the day before. I passed the second mile at 13:11 so I slowed a bit but that was okay. I liked the pace and my heart rate was hitting 158 which is normal for the pace I was running. I hit mile 3 at 19:58 and pushed it to the finish with a time of 20:30. My heart rate at the end was 164. I gave the race a good effort and was happy with my time.



I took advantage of a second massage which was much better than the first one and got some fluids in me. I also enjoyed the chicken sandwich by ironically, Outback Steakhouse.


I also met up with Vin Laudati who Jet-skied from his house in Toms River. We caught up on things and he offer a ride on his ride. There wasn't a second life jacket so no ride for us but that was fine. Vin got to be in the Banner pic. I need Vin to run a race with me.
Sally Mustang who organized the whole race hosted a party at her house afterwards. She had a goofy raffle at her house and I won a pair of tie-dyed bike shorts, which I modeled for the 50 plus guests. I had a few beers there then headed home for a well deserved nap.

My next race is the Milltown July 4th race then the Belmar race on July 11th. Let's get out there people. Stop putting off exercising.







RIP - ED, Farrah, Michael & Billy.

No comments:

Post a Comment