Sunday, July 5, 2009

Milltown 5k - 20:58




Race 34 was a quick one, but not one of my better races recently. Although I barely broke 21 minutes I felt like I was struggling the whole way. I haven't been running my best recently and my legs have been tired. I can't say I was happy with the time, but maybe it's time for me to do some speed work in between races.


The Milltown 5K is decently organized but not well publicized and they don't publish finishing times on any website. I do know I finished 37th out of 200+ plus runners and ran a 20:58. If you don't look at your time when you finish or have a watch you will never know your time. This race has been run for over 20 years and they still can't get those times on a website. I would have run the Cranford Firecracker 4 miler but it starts at 9:30 and I had to get down to Monmouth Beach for my son's doubleheader. One year I ran the Milltown 5k At 8am and then drove to Cranford to meet up with Vin Laudati to run the Cranford race at 9:30. It's the only time I ran two races in one day. I will try to run 3 races in one day if I can find that day where there are 3.

I ususally run the Milltown race with Ken White but he was in St Maarten with his family (not skiing) so I went solo. I met up with Michael Daigeaum who is a very fast runner and has won many races outright. He is one of the nicest guys you will meet. I also met up with Frank Calandruccio from Remax Country in Milltown. Remax was one of the sponsors of the race.




My plan was to go out in 6:30 pace and try to finish strong but that was not the case. The course was slightly changed due to some road construction so I am not even sure the course was certified. There were no mile markers so I was on my own for pace and split times. My heart rate was hovering right around 150 for most of the race. The course has a few decent hills so it is not the fastest 5K course but is not difficult. It wasn't that hot but I never do well in any summer races. I just read in Runner's World that for every 5 degree increase in temp, it could add 30 seconds to your time.

I have run a 4th of July race every year since 1993 so it has become a ritual for me. The perfect 4th for me is a race, kids baseball, BBQ and fireworks. 34 races in the books and 16 to go. The Belmar Five is next week which is always a winner. There is still time to sign up so join me. Bob's 50@50 provides transportation.




Get healthy, be happy and go for a run.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bob, your looking good and the running is doing you very well, You really stuck with it and I am suprised many people fall apart and quit way before the half way mark but you are almost finised keep it up sport and give them hell, from an old marathon runner, Cuz'en Vinny from Long beach N.Y.

    ReplyDelete