Saturday, July 25, 2009

Race #37 - NY Tri Underwear Run- 11:37













































I promised myself that I would do different races during my 50@50 and this was as different as they come. The distance was only 1.7 miles (not accurate) but all runners had to run in their best underwear, well not all. Some looked like they just drop their pants to run the race. I on the other hand spent a good few hours trying to figure if I should go boxers or briefs. I decided on boxers with a bike print. Since the NY tri club was the sponsor, it seem to make sense. I almost felt overdressed because some runners really went small.


I got into the city at 5pm and headed to NYSC to drop off my stuff and change for the race. No I didn't walk from the club to the park in my undies, I put my shorts over them. I figured I drop them 15 minutes before the start. I was early, but as the runners started signing in you could see this was going to be a fun evening. They were trying to break some sought of record of people in Jamaican costumes as well as the most number of people assembled in their undies. Not sure if they broke either record. It was like a costume party in your under garments.

Men wore all kinds of running gear from Speedo types, to traditional boxers. Thongs were not allowed but the ladies had all kinds of undies as well. There were complete teams of runners from the NY Tri club and the Annapolis Tri club from Maryland. Some outfits were just spectacular. The Naked Cowboy was also there but he wasn't running. Real tough to cover 1.7 miles in boots.

I ran 11:37 which was a 6:50 pace for the 1.7 miles but I am sure the course was longer. I felt like I was going at a 6:15 clip. I was on the front line at the start , mainly to get in the start photo. When the gun went off, I was actually in the lead for the first 100 yards which was surely uncharted territory for me. Some guy in tightie whities flew by me and then a few others. I think I made a tactical mistake by running fast because their were no women in the front so I wasn't able to take in the sights. The female winner passed me at about the 3/4 mile mark so I was able to get a nice look at her but that didn't last long. I finished about 12th out of 300+ runners.

I met up with Mallory and Becky Baker who are good friends with my niece and nephew in Pittsburgh. Mallory is doing the Tri on Sunday so they stopped by to watch the race and pick up the race packet for Sunday. We stopped for a beer after the race and chatted about running. Mallory is also doing the NYC & Philly 1/2 marathons so I will catch up with her then as well.

Only 13 more races to go so I need to pace myself with good runs in the future. I have one more goofy race that I hope to run which is in Boston, The Santa Speedo Run. Also runners in red Speedo but it is also in December.


Run on my friends.




































No comments:

Post a Comment