Saturday, March 21, 2009

Shamrock 8K - Virginia Beach




I was up at 6:15am to get ready for the first of two races this weekend. The 8am start was no problem since my hotel was just a few blocks away. I ran easy (39:06) but I was dying to kick it into gear, but knew I needed to save myself for tomorrow's 1/2. Over 7,000 runners finished the 8K and the start was packed with excited runners. Many of them dressed in green. The post race party was on the beach under a huge tent where you could find the Irish Stew, Yuengling and the band. I couldn't believe I was drinking beer before 9am but by 10am I had 4 Yuenglings. The band was excellent and I met up with the RVRR runners. Mike Dixon, Kyle Spencer, Mike Anis, Bill Hulbert, Lianne Price & Brandis Kemp. Each runner received a few drink tickets which allowed you to get a free beer. The runners who weren't interested in drinking that early dropped their tickets on our table. When they did that, the RVRR gave them a group hug. We met many folks as they dropped their tickets off. Everyone was having a great time. This is a race that you need to do if you feel like traveling. Great atmosphere and great people. The Irish Stew was great as well. I will try to get some rest tonight, but only if I don't try to keep up with the rest of the RVRR runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment