Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Only One Hill



John Liptak, Taugh Lynch & I found out this afternoon that we were accepted into the Mt Washington Road Race. We had to enter a lottery to see if we would get in. I think this is a bit of - be careful what you wish for, because now we have to seriously train for this race. For those of you not familiar with this event, it is a 7.6 mile run up the toll road of the highest point in the northeast with an average of an 11.5 incline. As race director Bob Teschek would say, "it's only one hill".This will be my signature race during Bob's 50 @ 50 and I thank John and Taugh for coming along for the ride. Taugh and I tossed around the idea of running this race about 5 years ago but decided against it. Now that we are 5 years older it seemed to make sense now. Not sure why. John loves running trail races and last year he ran the Bear Mountain trail run so this wasn't too much of a stretch for him. This race always intrigued me because I have always wanted to hike Mt Washington and I love running, so I figured to just combine the two. Taugh and I have been training in hopes that we would get accepted. We would meet at the NYSC gym on Wall street, crank up the treadmill to an incline of 11.5 and just start running. Our speed is only 4.5 so we are just plodding along but you really can't go any faster unless you want your heart to pop out of your chest. So the hard work begins and I just have to stay injury free. Take a look at some of the pics from past years.

No comments:

Post a Comment