Monday, March 16, 2009

Kelly's Logan House 5K




I hit double digits in races today with #10 in Wilmington Delaware. The 10th annual Kelly's Logan House 5K enjoyed perfect weather for a run. It had to be at least 70 degrees and the sun was out which was a nice switch from this past Monday. This was the first race the whole family would be participating including one of Leigh's friends (Kathy) from the University of Delaware. Bobby and I ran, Leigh and Kathy ran/walked and Michael and Ro walked the course. Bobby finished with a time of 26:46 and I ran a 20:31 while the rest of the group was over 35 minutes. I thought Delaware was flat so I was in for a real surprise when after a slight downhill start, we began to climb a 600 meter hill. It didn't end there as we had more hills to deal with in Rockford Park. I think we finally started downhill at the 1 3/4 mile mark. The fast downhill finish was nice. I placed 2nd in my age group and was about 20 seconds behind the first 50 year old guy. He passed me on the second climb at mile 1 and I thought I might catch him on the flat or downhill portion but i was wrong. The post race party was held at Kelly's which included pizza, pretzels and a free beer. The awards took a while as the guy in charge was doing his stand up act with every runner. He was funny, but we wanted to get going. I had a great time running with the family look forward to another race with them soon. Next up is a pair of St Patty's runs next weekend. Come join me, I am sure there will be beer afterwards and lots of stories.

1 comment:

  1. 50 races in one year! God bless you. Although I'm in decent shape, the most exercise I get these days is walking the golf course. Best of luck.
    Vic Fortezza http://vicfortezza.homestead.com/

    ReplyDelete