Friday, November 13, 2009

Race #48 - Run with the Vikings 5K - 21:57





This race is my baby. I started it 5 years ago with lots of help from my wife and the Viking Athletic Club. The club needed a fund raiser and I suggested a road race. I always wanted to organize a race, but knew I needed help. I brought my proposal to the VAC and they thought it was a great idea. To date we have raised over $35K and energized the community to get out there and exercise. My goals are to raise at least $10,000 each year and attract over 500 runners and will continue to work towards those goals. I have run over 450 races and I think I know what runners want in a race. I try to give them more than a t-shirt and a bottle of water.

We had 282 finishers in the 5k which was down 20 runners from last year. I attribute that to the Yankee game running late, Halloween the night before and the early rain in the morning. It was a successful day and made better by Phil from IHOP who donated his time and over 1000 pancakes for the runners. I received lots of emails and one call saying it was a great time.





I saw lots of my friends from South Brunswick running today but not many of other friends there. Taugh Lynch who is a regular at the RWTV5K and Chris Kelly showed up which was much appreciated.



I ran a 21:57 running much of it with Taugh. My son Mike ran with my nephew Andrew which was nice to see.

















Only two more races plus a few bonus races including the Charlotte Marathon. Holiday season is coming so I think you should get out and exercise a bit. That way you won't have to pass up the egg nog. It's never too late to get back in decent shape, unless of course you like having 3 wardrobes.


No comments:

Post a Comment