Sunday, April 26, 2009

Race #20 - Rye Derby 5 Mile Run










I left my house at 10:30 for a 1:45 race in Rye, NY. I was meeting up with Brad Hunt and Scott Mosenthal, aka Dr. Mo, to run the Rye Derby. I got to the Rye YMCA at 1:30 as there was loads of traffic in the Bronx. Good thing I gave myself plenty of time. Not a big fan of afternoon races but It gave me time to sleep in a bit. I knew the heat was going to be a factor today so I planned on taking it easy. I don't run well in heat so it wasn't going to make sense for me to try to break 34 minutes.

I ran with Brad and his friend Dave for most of the race. This is the second race Brad has run with me during the 50@50 and the temp extremes have been, well extreme. We ran the Midnight Run in zero degrees and now this race in 90+. The heat was starting to become a factor for many of the runners. Brad and I saw at least 5 people down on the side of the road. I have run over 450 races and never saw that in person. These people were in serious condition and as of this writing, I don't know what happened to them. Hopefully, they received some fluids then were better. Dr. Mo ran 33:15, Brad and I ran 45:10. It was a good race in a beautiful town but the heat took something away from the day. Dr. Mo said he ran this same race in the snow one year.
The highlight of the day besides hanging with the Hunt family was meeting a guy who said he was Eamon Coghlan, the Chairman of the Boards because he won so many indoor mile races. His best time was 3:49 outdoors.




Afterward the race I headed up to Armonk to meet up with Tim O'Malley. Tim and I went to St Francis College together. It was a long day but well worth it. I will be up in that area for another race before the year is out but probably in he fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment